Inspirational Artist : Enchanted Doll

Monday 27 May 2013 - Posted by Shwe Thiri Khit

This week, I would like to introduce an artist who inspires me a lot.  Her name is Marina Bychkova, a Russian-Canadian figurative artist, and a founder of Enchanted Doll. She creates exquisite and pretty porcelain dolls. 

I have came across her works about two years after creating my own characters.  And I've loved her works from first sight. 

May be it was easy to love, because I found similarities in style of my girls' facial expressions and her dolls.  Somehow I feel there's a connection between our works.  And I've been following her works on doll creation for some time. 

When you give some attention to her dolls' faces, you will see the face full of emotions.  Sometimes painted with sadness, shyness, insecurities, worries or expectations.  But I doubt if she add these feelings with purpose, rather all her dolls' faces appear to be full of those feelings naturally and effortlessly.  I have to admit I don't know the life story of her but I am sure that she's a successful doll maker and that she's passionate about what she does.

Her dolls are elegantly sculpted and articulated works of art. Strikingly nude, engraved or adorned in opulent sculptural costumes of precious metals, gemstones, and rare found objects, each doll intricately conveys an aspect of our humanity.

She said “The reason I love making dolls is because it’s such a multidisciplinary art form. I’m not content working in just one medium such as painting or sculpture, and dolls offer me a very diverse and satisfying tactile experience. To create a doll I get to do it all: sculpture, industrial design, painting, engraving, mold-making, drawing, metalwork, fashion and jewelry design. I want it all, or nothing!” 
- Marina Bychkova

The doll faces are done in detail with fine touches.  You can see her step by step approach from her website.  Let's have a deeper look into how she creates her doll faces. 


Look at how the eyes are made.  They look sparkling and so alive, filled with so much emotion.  The eyes are very detailed too.

The lips are full and shiny.  Not like having lipstick on but more of a natural shine. 

Choice of skin tons are another favourite.  Very crafty I have to admit. The colours she chose are dynamic, with the cheeks looking more reddish giving out a soft and gentle outlook for the doll she made. 


I like that so much that I created an artwork myself taking inspiration from her. Have a look the right picture. >>>  

The choice of skin tone plays an important role if you want to express a lot of emotions.

Even if the differences can't be seen easily between different expressions, you can notice the differences in feelings from the faces even when they are under the same theme. 

The takeaway here is to practice again and again so that the moves become natural.  Now you can see how I take inspiration from other artists and how I infuse it into my own works.  You can see more of her beautiful dolls from this link. 

The more creative ideas you have on how to create a face, your inner mind will definitely help bring you there.  The more details you can do, the more lively face you will create. 



 
ALERT: My newsletter account has been hacked and I have also stopped using it. If you are getting mails "Random chronicles" from khitster[at]gmail[dot]com, please add that email to SPAM list. Sorry for all the trouble caused. Follow my BLOG. Copyrighted © 2013 Shwe Thiri Khit. All right reserved.